A big HELLO and WELCOME BACK TO SCHOOL to all those that are still in school! For those who are not, CONGRATULATIONS ON NOT HAVING TO GO TO SCHOOL ANYMORE, YOU’RE DONE!
For those of you who may not have already heard, my name is Frank Huynh and I am the new External Vice-President for UNAVSA! This year’s executive board wanted to start something new where we would take turns blogging/vlogging to keep you guys all updated on what we have been doing for UNAVSA, as well as anything interesting that may come up within our communities. Essentially, a chance for you guys to walk in our shoes and pick at our brains (though I have to wear really wide shoes, so I’m not sure how’d they fit on you, but I digress…)!
A little over a week ago, we had our first executive board retreat out in San Francisco! Though I’m not sure if this has been done in the past, we thought it would be the most effective and productive use of our time to have our retreat in person as opposed to via teleconference methods as to expedite and increase the amount of work that we could accomplish within a day. So as not to bore you, I thought I’d write out some of moments that stood out the most to me:
- Being from the east coast and having to work on that Friday, I was the last to arrive. The board picked me up from the airport around 12:15am, where we proceeded to talk…business…immediately, haha
- We then grabbed a quick bite to eat at In-n-Out, mostly because there aren’t many places open late in San Francisco (which really surprised me, o.O), and because my board had ALREADY EATEN WITHOUT ME (so much for solidarity sisters, -_- lol)
- Stephen’s workplace (where we did most of our work) was extremely cool and modern looking. They have a fully stocked kitchen, as well as showers on every floor. You could literally live there, >.<! Thank you again so much for being so hospitable and accommodating us Stephen!
- Our 6 month, 1 year, and 2 year plans differed greatly from each other
- With that being said, our visions for these next 2 years were more aligned than I thought they would be
- 4 out of 5 of the e-board members consider themselves to be an introvert/a secret introvert
- MP doesn’t normally use foundation
- Hop currently owns more hair products than me
- Lucy and Timmy average around 1 selfie for every 10 minutes
- Nghia takes his fantasy football draft very seriously
- Crystal and Charley are extremely talented photographers
- CREAM cookies are amazing
- San Francisco was really cold at night, especially on top of the Twin Peaks (though it was well worth it as the view was breathtaking)
- Our board sucks at pillow talk
- I was able to sleep through a 6.0 richter scale earthquake
Overall, it was a very eventful and fun filled weekend. Going into retreat, I think the right word to describe how I was feeling would be apprehensive. But coming away from retreat, I fully embraced a new single-word-mantra that I believe to stand true for the next 2 years (and hopefully a long time after that as well): family.
Be sure to check back in the next time you’re free with your UNAVSA EVP!